Tuesday, July 11, 2006

across/down

Today, I had an unintentional day off from work.
I got up at the crack of dawn and was at the office by 9 am to start field work on the streets today, but it turns out that one of the directors forgot to tell me to bring my passport so that I could fill out tax forms and such, so I would have to wait until tomorrow to actually get on the field.
...Boo-hoo.

So, being given the day off, I skipped my way to Washington Square Park (and by skip, I mean I took the train), got some iced coffee and the Times, sat on a park bench and did as much of the Monday crossword puzzle as I could (although I had to call Stan to look up the capital of Bulgaria - which is Sofia, btw), went to Kimmel for a bit, skipped my way up to Columbia where I met Julia and her friend Molly for brunch.
Funny thing though, as I got off the train, I recognized DNC people on the street right in front of the gates - the very people I had seen in the office that morning, in fact. And I laughed. On the inside. Partly at them, but as myself as well, since now I kind of have a visual of what I must look like.
Anyway. Turns out Molly is a crossword fiend, so she helped me (the novice) out and we finished the rest of it juntas. I hadn't done a crossword puzzle in AGES, but needless to say, I'm hooked. I definitely plan on getting a copy of Will Shortz's easy crossword puzzle books for the planeride, or trainride, or....boatride....?

Columbia was interesting for several reasons, but the best moment was probably the one involving an ex & being stoned. Could have really cashed in on the potential awkwardness of the situation, but ultimately didn't.

Then I went downtown and shifted into frou frou gear, met up with Caroline and Cari for a lovely, food-coma inducing dinner, which was followed by a showing of 'Wordplay' at the IFC.
Which, by the way, was AAAAMAZING. I had a huge, goofy grin plastered on my face the entire time. It was dorky, it was sweet, it was just such a wonderful, feel-good movie. I don't think I've felt that chipper and warm after a film since....I don't know, Amelie. And it was fitting that I watched it today, after having taken up crossword puzzles again for the first time in years. Oh, and watching/hearing Clinton eloquently relate understanding crossword puzzles to understanding and creating foreign policy - WHILE nonchalantly filling out the puzzle, btw - made me wonder what would happen if Dubya was confronted with the Sunday Crossword Puzzle.
No, what am I thinking?! Make it a Monday Crossword Puzzle.
Just the thought of it makes me shudder.
I mean, not that he would even go so far as to pick out the Arts section in the NYTimes in the first place, since he doesn't really do the whole reading-the-newspaper-and-being-informed thing (and if he did, he would definitely not be getting his news from the NYTimes), but still. Really drove the point home that:
Clinton: Bush, as Night: Day

Then after I said my goodbyes to two of my favorite gals, I ran into my future Paris roommate in the subway and we had a quick chat on opposite sides of the turnstile. Whee, Paris.

Um, I should go to bed. But the moral of this entry is....Yay, Tax forms?


Oh, and I friended Michael Cera (aka George Michael Bluth) on Myspace. The End.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home