Monday, June 26, 2006

i'm a big kid now!

Remember how I was being a worrywartfart about my visa?
Well, miraculously, I was not turned away for missing one document or another; in fact, the whole process was neither as intimidating nor as hostile as I imagined it to be, and I officially have a visa! Hoorah!

And other than that, my life is boring as all hell (as usual). Thank god for Justine. That's all I have to say.

In other (boring) news, I've gotten sucked into Sex and the City again. I mean, this marathon is bound to happen at least once a year, usually around this time, when I have nothing but idle time on my hands. Maybe I should get the rest of the seasons on DVD and bring them abroad with me - for those times when I need to see the city in all its cosmopolitan-manohlo-sunday brunch-froufrou girly glory. Yeah yeah, it satisfies my superficial needs - any tri-state area girl can say that; but I do genuinely enjoy the show for more than its costumes and locations.
And that's me trying not to sound like the typical SATC fanatic (and more or less failing). Sigh.

Change of topic: my little yellow umbrella.
As we all know, the weather has been a little less than great lately. And walking around the city, it's a sea of depressing black umbrella-clad New Yorkers (with the exception of Mike and his clear umbrella. But that's Mike.) And I, my friends, was one of these depressing black umbrella-clad pedestrians up until a few days ago.
I was trudging through the rain under my generic umbrella, feeling sweaty and sticky from the humidity and generally just being ho-hum, when I happened upon a little store that had in the window cute, colorful umbrellas. Sure, these stores are a dime a dozen, but for some reason I stopped, and went inside.
A few minutes later, I walked out with a new umbrella, having thrown my old ugly one inside my ginormous carpet bag. I swooooshed open the yellow umbrella, and LO AND BEHOLD, everything changed.
I had somehow traveled through a worm-hole to CandyLand.
Okay maybe not. But suddenly I felt like I was under a little patch of sunlight, despite everything else around me being grey and gloomy - it made me infinitely more chipper. One umbrella!
And so I skipped about the city in the rain feeling infinitely chipper and lived happily ever after.

I saw Jill for lunch today, and as we walked to the restaurant (in the rain, of course), she agreed that life did seem a little better under my little yellow umbrella.

The End.


P.S - I just discovered that a friend of mine is majoring in archaeology, and can also read hieroglyphs. How SWEEEEEEET is that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home