Thursday, June 15, 2006

decadence (?)

So some Spence seniors used me and "Silent Film" as the subject of their music video for their Senior Seminar class. I saw the final outcome yesterday.
Needless to say, it was somewhat (if not appallingly) embarrassing.
Which is fine, since I wasn't expecting a masterpiece from three third-term seniors; I'm surprised it even came out as well as it did.
However, I'm not excited that it was shown to the general Spence public along with the other three final projects. The number of sympathy/pity looks that I got yesterday as I walked through the building kept rising...to the point where I wanted to hide my face in shame. But I did get a lot of people saying they loved the song, regardless of the video. Which is all that really matters.
Such is life. And the joke that is my "music career."
Hey, at least there's some fantastic blackmail material out there now, right? Right??

If anyone needs any suggestions for restaurants, I'm your (wo)man. I recently bought a little "Do It Yourself Restaurant Guide" book (mostly for its adorable green diner tab cover) which on each page has a little layout for the name of the restaurant, how pricey, overall rating, what to get/not to get, etc. I love it. My own personal Zagat.
I guess I started thinking about restaurants just now because today, I finally got to revisit an old favorite of mine which I had completely forgotten about. The Metropolitan Restaurant (1st and 52nd) was a place I used to frequent during my internship at the UN a few summers ago, and then forgot about for the next few years. Then while I was filling in my restaurant book I suddenly remembered the place and the fact that they had great sandwiches and fries but could NOT for the life of me remember the name - only that it started with an 'M'.
So I did a Google search for restaurants in East 50's and found a place called Madison Restaurant on 53rd and 1st and figured that had to be it. I proposed to Caroline that we meet there for dinner on Monday, and that evening she happened to get there earlier, so found a table and sat down. When I got to the corner I realized that the cute place with the black awning and dangling lights did not say "Madison Restaurant" but "Metropolitan Restaurant." While muttering obsceneties to myself, I turn around, and see that Madison Restaurant is simply an average Manhattan DINER. But since Caroline had already sat down, we ended up eating there.
Today, however, I did not make the same mistake.
I met up with Naima for dinner and we walked all the way from Columbus Circle to 52nd and 1st so that I could finally, FINALLY eat and find peace. Which I did. Maybe not the finding peace bit, but I defnitely ate to the point of food coma.

Which leads me to the question:
Why am I writing extensively about a restaurant at 3 am in the morning?

Frankly, I can't answer it. My sleep cycle is completely off balance - mostly due to my increasingly unhealthy habit of binging on movies. Tonight it was The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou, and Margaret Cho: Assassin. I don't need to obsess over Wes Anderson any more than I already have/do, and Margaret Cho.....eh. The entire routine sounded like an excerpt from any two fairly radical and pseudo-informed college students engaging in political discourse. Kind of funny, but nothing that made me really laugh. I think I laughed harder when I was watching Manhattan Murder Mystery the other day. Gotta love the impressions of her mother though - she has the korean accent down like it's her business.

Finished Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test (life-changing.) and have begun Sometimes A Great Notion by Ken Kesey. So many books to read, huzzah. I've really taken to reading extensively on the train - I think because I spend so much goddamn time riding the trains each week...I mean, I think I read the majority of Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test in the subway, which is pretty bizarre, but fitting at the same time.
I think tomorrow I will definitely do some writing. I was very inspired yesterday while coming home on the train and walking up the long tunnel out of the 175th train station into he GWB terminal, although I think that wave of inspiration mostly came from the fact that I was high..but hey, whatever works.

For most of the past year, I really thought I had fixed my compulsive buying disorder. Sure, I spent an excessive amount on food, but that seemed excusable. However, I am sad to announce that I have relapsed. I've justified my disorder by saying that I need summer clothes and dresses and sandals....but an LLBean Nautical Themed Tote Bag? (My excuse for that was that it would serve as an excellent carry-on for going to AK and Paris and whatever) And now the itch to buy a Lesportsac weekender bag as well. Maybe I'm experiencing a weird side-branch of compulsive buying disorder that's causing me to fixate on luggage?
Who knows. More importantly, who cares.

Tomorrow, I am going to get up early (and by early, I mean before noon), perhaps run (depending on the weather), get coffee, read until my eyes dry up, write until I start feeling symptoms of tendonitis, and show some goodwill and sisterliness by helping the bro study for his geometry final. Or whatever final he needs help on. Yeah.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home