Saturday, April 08, 2006

books piled high

Here's to the temporal fabric of friendships that you thought were rooted deep enough to weather storms and - the worst of all - growing apart. Well kids, nothing is permanent. You cultivate these comprehensive and meaningful relationships, and then the tide comes in and what you thought was a marble sanctuary melts away. So what do you do. You build another sand castle and admire how you've rebuilt it without any of the pre-existing flaws, and then you see it get washed away again. I've built many a sand castles; at this point, I'm insulated from any sort of shock that comes a crumbling friendship. You just.......get used to it. I've learned not to expect much from people; and I don't mean this in a cynical and pessimistic way - it's just my reality.

I watched Lady and the Tramp and Forrest Gump. Good movies.

The other day I met with my UN seminar professor and interviewed her for my french presentation (I'm supposed to interview a native french speaker and basically build a presentation around them). I managed to conduct the entire interview in french, which I'm proud of. Apparently I don't have a problem with the accent. Anyway, she's my hero. Talking to her gave me such a sense of validation, a purpose - I can't really put it into words quite yet, so I won't bother. However, I will quote Lt. Gen. Romeo Dallaire: "Peux ce que veux. Allons-y."

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

deb, it's your manajer. to the first paragraph of this entry... yes. i understand. i'm going through the same thing. no strength to rebuild my sandcastles though. just miles and miles of empty beach... no one else is to keen on rebuilding either, so i guess it's fine. reading that was like reading my own xanga. ;( too bad for us. as transient as i may prove to be, for what it's worth, i miss you. i sent you an fbook message i think, reply when u can.

April 16, 2006 5:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home