Sunday, June 25, 2006

suck it!

I don't go to enough concerts.

I realized this after attending a benefit concert for Arthur Lee of Love - aka a MARATHON - last night with Caroline. It was over five hours of sitting in Beacon Theatre with 50+ year olds smoking pot and putting us young'uns to shame while they relived their crazy Woodstock days as best they could (although some were falling asleep after 11 pm). And who capped it off? That's right - Robert Plant. Who, by the way, still kicks mucho ass (even though it was a little weird when he screamed "SUCK IT!" in the middle of a song). I mean the whole concert was in-fucking-credible. The marathon bill included Ryan Adams & The Cardinals, Nils Lofgren, Ian Hunter, Yo La Tengo, and a random cameo by Gavin DeGraw who did a great cover of Sam Cooke's "A Change Is Gonna Come."

So naturally, I downloaded some of my favorites from last night, and I have to say, I'm disappointed. They seem so lackluster coming out of my mediocre speakers. And sure, I could try cranking up the volume as high as I can to get that "concert" effect, but I doubt that would do anything. There was just something about the energy on the stage, watching these artists who have only gotten better with age - they were seriously rocking out like, I can't even explain. Just fantastic having that extra visual dimension added to sound - I'd nearly forgotten why I love concerts so much, it had been so long. Definitely a memorable experience, or as Caroline calls it, "something to tell the grandkids."

Also, reminded me of what real musicians are, and the importance of live music. I really can't respect "artists" who can't perform live; I don't care if you're f-ing Madonna - she can gyrate and lip-sync as much as she wants, but what the fuck kind of talent does she have? Other than being provocative by burning crosses and wearing a cone-bra. Not impressed. On the other hand, watching a collective band totally sync-ed and just going wild - gives me shivers, just amazing.

Anyway I can't keep my train of thought going any longer - last night was a long one (albeit fun and unforgettable), had breakfast at Bubby's avec Caroline, trudged uptown to babysit, had lunch at Lemongrass (so gooooooooood), ran downtown to copy paperwork and print a few things, went to Mike's for a "BBQ", and then trudged home all the way back to Jersey. I'm tuckered out, to say the least, I just needed to come back to my own bed and comfort zone before heading out again tomorrow.

I think a few episodes of "Sex and the City" would do me some good. Or at least ease me to sleep.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home