Wednesday, June 21, 2006

aint it the truth

As you can tell from my newly added sidebar section titled "Currently Reading," I've recently picked up Al Franken's "The Truth (with jokes)." (And yes, I'm going to put a cap on the number of sidebar sections added onto my blog before things get out of control and you start seeing "Currently Thinking" and "Currently Eating" sections)
Anyway, I haven't been able to put the book down. It's a laugh a minute, which I'm sure I would get out of reading something by Ann Coulter as well, although in that case it might be more of a dry-heave-a-minute type of deal. But really, I think I may bite the bullet and try to read an Ann Coulter book after I finish this, and compare my blue and red notes.
In all honesty though, even though I admit I get a kick out of shanking conservatives (figuratively) whenever I can, and secretly dreaming of the day I get to kick Bill O'Reilly in the shins (even if he's 5 ft. taller than I am) or pop a cap in Karl Rove's unsuspecting ass, this whole partisan war thats been escalating for the past however many years (albeit exponentially and intentionally during the current Bush administration's reign of terror) is getting to be completely ridiculous. Liberals and conservatives alike seem to have dramatically regressed into an immature group of kids on the playground farting on each other, not realizing that they're stinking up the whole goddamn place.
And this is why Barack Obama is the way of the future. He's the one standing in the middle of the chaos with a gas mask on, saying, "Can't we all just get along?"
Okay fine, we all know no politican is that naively optimistic, but at least he's not joining in the farting. Which is enough for me.

Anyway, Franken comes up with a mock negative ad that focuses on the gay marriage controversy, much in the spirit of the Bush-Cheney 2004 campaign, which I thought was absolutely brilliant in more ways that one. And so I thought I'd share it with you:
George W. Bush wants to amend our Constitution to make it illegal for gays to marry. But evidently, he has no problem with terrorists getting married. Even now, terrorist couples are plotting to sanctify their love for each other in holy matrimony - and then blow up the Holland Tunnel. Call George W. Bush. Tell him that America can't afford a president who is soft on terrorist marriage. Because unlike gays...terrorists can breed.
[Paid for by the Committee to Distract You from Real Issues.]

Aint it the truth.

On a final note to what turned out to be a more political entry than I intended it to be, here's a Reagan-Bush campaign ad from '84 that had me in stitches when it was shown in my American Politics class, and when I found it again on YouTube the other day: "There's A Bear In The Woods"

See? Not all of politics is boring and dry; there are those rare moments of hilarity such as this one (well, not as rare these days with the uber-moron in office) when one laughs at the farce-ness of it all, but then pauses for a minute to wonder in all seriousness, "And I live in the U.S because....?"


Oh, and before I go, has anyone else seen the billboard somewhere in Midtown (I think the 50's and Broadway) that simply says, "my boogers itch"?
Anyone?
Because literally, that's all it says. No product or brand logo, name of a movie or TV show...at least not from where I could see. Either I'm missing something (which is probably the case) or.......the apocalypse is now. Either way, funny.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home